[ləʊð] or [loð]
(v. t.) To feel extreme disgust at, or aversion for.
(v. t.) To dislike greatly; to abhor; to hate.
(v. i.) To feel disgust or nausea.
v. a. Abhor, detest, hate, nauseate, abominate, feel disgust at, shrink from, recoil from.
v.t. to dislike greatly to feel disgust at.—adj. Loath′ful full of loathing hate or abhorrence: exciting loathing or disgust.—n. Loath′ing extreme hate or disgust: abhorrence.—adj. hating.—adv. Loath′ingly.—adjs. Loath′ly Loath′y (obs.) loathsome; Loath′some exciting loathing or abhorrence: detestable.—adv. Loath′somely.—n. Loath′someness.
- We hate and loathe these veritable fiends, he smiled again. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- We live in filth, and grow loathsome, till we loathe ourselves! 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- I have taught them to love work and loathe idleness. 弗格斯·休姆. 奇幻岛.
- I loathe and fear him more than I can say. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- I should loathe the man to whom I sold myself without love, whomsoever he might be. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- I loathe myself as a human being. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- I loathe and hate it now, but I cannot leave it. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 雾都孤儿.
- I still loathed my bed in the school dormitory more than words can express: I clung to whatever could distract thought. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- And she loathed it, the sordid, too-familiar place! 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- She loathed its atmosphere of petty vice and petty jealousy and petty art. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- She loathed the man with whiskers round his face. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Martin, having known the taste of excitement, wanted a second draught; having felt the dignity of power, he loathed to relinquish it. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Sincerely as I loathed the man, the prodigious strength of his character, even in its most trivial aspects, impressed me in spite of myself. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- I wished to do right, yet loathed to grieve or injure him. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- A man cannot be condemned for a murder at which he was not present, and which he loathes and abhors as much as you do. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- Unutterable loathing of a desolate existence past, forbade return. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 维莱特.
- Tublat's little, close-set, bloodshot, pig-eyes shot wicked gleams of hate as they fell upon the object of his loathing. 埃德加·赖斯·巴勒斯. 人猿泰山.
- It was dynamic hatred and loathing, coming strong and black out of the unconsciousness. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- Gudrun looked at her in silent loathing. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- But in loathing myself I may, I own, be unjust to you, my poor wife. 托马斯·哈代. 还乡.
- Or would he pity me, and understand me, and save me from loathing myself? 伊迪丝·华顿. 快乐之家.
- I cannot tell you the loathing and horror with which this insignificant-looking man inspired me. 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯回忆录.