['æfrɪk(ə)n] or ['æfrɪkən]
(noun.) a native or inhabitant of Africa.
(adj.) of or relating to the nations of Africa or their peoples; 'African languages' .
(a.) Of or pertaining to Africa.
(n.) A native of Africa; also one ethnologically belonging to an African race.
adj. pertaining to Africa—also Af′ric.—ns. Af′rican a native of Africa; Africand′er one born of white parents in Cape Colony or other parts of South Africa.
n. A nigger that votes our way.
- We have great fleets in the Mediterranean, but they seldom touch at African ports. 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- It was taken on his return home from the African station, where he had suffered from the fever of the country. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- There remained this way, this awful African process, to be fulfilled. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- It is the statement of missionaries, that, of all races of the earth, none have received the Gospel with such eager docility as the African. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- This morning at breakfast he pointed out of the window and said: Do you see that there hill out there on that African coast? 马克·吐温. 傻子出国记.
- He saw vividly with his spirit the grey, forward-stretching face of the negro woman, African and tense, abstracted in utter physical stress. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- He hated the sheer African thing. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- The Hudson's Bay company, before their misfortunes in the late war, had been much more fortunate than the Royal African company. 亚当·斯密. 国富论.
- This pretended African speech was an excellent parody of one delivered by Mr. Jackson, of Georgia. 本杰明·富兰克林. 富兰克林自传.
- He remembered the African fetishes he had seen at Halliday's so often. 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- The desire and yearning of my soul is for an African _nationality_. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- So, Watson, said he, suddenly, you do not propose to invest in South African securities? 阿瑟·柯南·道尔. 福尔摩斯归来记.
- The woman who had been advertised by the name of Hagar was a regular African in feature and figure. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- I don't know whether you happen to have read many books of African Travel, Mr Rokesmith? 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- African ditto. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 我们共同的朋友.
- How far, in their inverted culture, had these West Africans gone beyond phallic knowledge? 戴维·赫伯特·劳伦斯. 恋爱中的女人.
- It appears also to have been known by the Hindoos and the Africans. 威廉·亨利·杜利特. 世纪发明.