['vælɪənt] or ['væljənt]
(adj.) having or showing valor; 'a valiant attempt to prevent the hijack'; 'a valiant soldier' .
(a.) Vigorous in body; strong; powerful; as, a valiant fencer.
(a.) Intrepid in danger; courageous; brave.
(a.) Performed with valor or bravery; heroic.
a. Brave, courageous, intrepid, valorous, gallant, chivalrous, chivalric, heroic, daring, dauntless, bold, fearless, doughty, undaunted, Spartan, lion-hearted.
SYN:Intrepid, heroic, courageous, brave, redoubtable, stout-hearted, valorous,gallant
ANT:Timid, puny, cowardly, craven
adj. strong: brave: intrepid in danger: heroic.—n. (obs.) a valiant person.—ns. Val′iance Val′iancy.—adv. Val′iantly bravely.—n. Val′iantness courage.
- And this, in especial, is the valiant Knight who fought so bravely for the deliverance of him for whom we this day mourn. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- Come, valiant sir, said Wamba, I must be your armourer as well as your equerry--I have dismounted you, and now I will unhelm you. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- To this can the light look of woman, aided by the Prince of the Powers of this world, bring a valiant and worthy knight! 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- He shewed how England had become powerful, and its inhabitants valiant and wise, by means of the freedom they enjoyed. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- They saw the world in terms of valiant adventure. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- Never, Sir,' rejoined Pott, pot-valiant in a double sense--'never. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 匹克威克外传.
- It was made up of songs of free adventure, aristocratic and valiant in spirit. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- He had the fame of being very valiant, the second brother said. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- It transfigured him in two minutes, brought the colour back to his face, and made him at least _word_-valiant. 夏洛蒂·勃朗特. 雪莉.
- Think not of it, valiant warrior! 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- Report speaks him brave and valiant, said Conrade. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- And being perfect, is therefore wise and valiant and temperate and juSt. That is likewise clear. 柏拉图. 理想国.
- Dark sits the evening upon the thanes castle, The black clouds gather round; Soon shall they be red as the blood of the valiant! 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.
- Romansh, Italian, and French-speaking valleys were presently added to this valiant little republican group. 赫伯特·乔治·威尔斯. 世界史纲.
- To you four, sirs, replied the Knight, addressing those who had last spoken, and to your honourable and valiant masters, I have one common reply. 沃尔特·司各特. 艾凡赫.