['hɔːsbæk] or ['hɔrsbæk]
(noun.) the back of a horse.
(adv.) on the back of a horse; 'he rode horseback to town'; 'managed to escape ahorse'; 'policeman patrolled the streets ahorseback'.
(n.) The back of a horse.
(n.) An extended ridge of sand, gravel, and bowlders, in a half-stratified condition.
- Soon after the arrival of the suit I donned it, and put off for Cincinnati on horseback. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- Fat or thin, laughing or melancholy, on horseback or the music-stool, it was all the same to the Major. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- Emma and Harriet went together; Miss Bates and her niece, with the Eltons; the gentlemen on horseback. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- At the inn we found Mr. Boythorn on horseback, waiting with an open carriage to take us to his house, which was a few miles off. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 荒凉山庄.
- Adrian was on horseback; he rode up to the carriage, and his gaiety, in addition to that of Raymond, dispelled my sister's melancholy. 玛丽·雪莱. 最后一个人.
- This walk was common to all the male members of Sleary's company, and was understood to express, that they were always on horseback. 查尔斯·狄更斯. 艰难时事.
- He was bow-legged from much horseback riding. 欧内斯特·海明威. 丧钟为谁而鸣.
- As the party neared the fence, they discovered in the distance, along the road, their own wagon coming back, accompanied by some men on horseback. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.
- The large brand made it possible for cowboys on horseback to separate the cattle of different owners, as the brand could be seen at some distance. 佚名. 神奇的知识之书.
- As they were turning into the grounds, Mr. Perry passed by on horseback. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- A young farmer, whether on horseback or on foot, is the very last sort of person to raise my curiosity. 简·奥斯汀. 爱玛.
- He despatched a groom, on horseback, for the nearest medical man, Mr. Dawson, of Oak Lodge. 威尔基·柯林斯. 白衣女人.
- There are some beggars that you put on horseback, and they're the first to ride you down. 威廉·梅克比斯·萨克雷. 名利场.
- This made travel on horseback even slower than through the mud; but I went as fast as the roads would allow. 尤利西斯·格兰特. U．S．格兰特的个人回忆录.
- I have crossed it a hundred times on horseback, and know exactly the turns to take. 哈丽叶特·比切·斯托. 汤姆叔叔的小屋.