[nɒt] or [nɑt]
(adv.) negation of a word or group of words; 'he does not speak French'; 'she is not going'; 'they are not friends'; 'not many'; 'not much'; 'not at all'.
Typist: Naomi--From WordNet
(-) Wot not; know not; knows not.
(a.) Shorn; shaven.
(adv.) A word used to express negation, prohibition, denial, or refusal.
Checked by Bonnie
adv. a word expressing denial negation or refusal.—Not in it (coll.) having no part in some confidence or advantage.
Edited by Caleb
- Being merely sheltered by others would not promote growth. John Dewey. Democracy and Education.
- Will was not quite contented, thinking that he would apparently have been of more importance if he had been disliked. George Eliot. Middlemarch.
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. Mark Twain. The Innocents Abroad.
- I have something beyond this, but I will call it a defect, not an endowment, if it leads me to misery, while ye are happy. Mary Shelley. The Last Man.
- You ought not to have come today, she said in an altered voice; and suddenly she turned, flung her arms about him and pressed her lips to his. Edith Wharton. The Age of Innocence.
- How we shall conciliate this little creature, said Mrs. Bretton to me, I don't know: she tastes nothing, and by her looks, she has not slept. Charlotte Bronte. Villette.
- Still, he said, I do not comprehend you. Plato. The Republic.
- Not especially. Ernest Hemingway. A Farewell To Arms.
- It was not good for him to talk too much, and when he was silent, we were silent too. Charles Dickens. Bleak House.
- Miss Havisham sat listening (or it seemed so, for I could not see her face), but still made no answer. Charles Dickens. Great Expectations.
- Well, you're not geese, you're swans--anything you like, only do, do leave Miss Sedley alone. William Makepeace Thackeray. Vanity Fair.
- He had not dared to tell it sooner. William Makepeace Thackeray. Vanity Fair.
- I believe that he would have come all the way had it not been that Dr. Ferrier, who lives near me, was going down by that very train. Arthur Conan Doyle. The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.
- Permit me to mention one little instance, which, though it relates to myself, will not be quite uninteresting to you. Benjamin Franklin. Memoirs of Benjamin Franklin.
- But not so easily did Elinor recover from the alarm into which it had thrown her. Jane Austen. Sense and Sensibility.
- No, say my lords the mob, you sha'n't have that. Benjamin Franklin. Memoirs of Benjamin Franklin.
- Den Uncle Peter mus'n't sit in it, cause he al'ays hitches when he gets a singing. Harriet Beecher Stowe. Uncle Tom's Cabin.
- Miss Murdstone is the point now, Peggotty, and you sha'n't escape from it. Charles Dickens. David Copperfield.
- The sneak a'n't worthy of her. William Makepeace Thackeray. Vanity Fair.
- You ha'n't seen him before. Charles Dickens. Bleak House.
- Wy, Sammy,' said the father, 'I ha'n't seen you, for two year and better. Charles Dickens. The Pickwick Papers.
- I sha'n't be here long, he rejoined, his lips stiffening with the effort to say just so much and no more. Edith Wharton. The Age of Innocence.
- Ar'n't you coming with me, dearest? William Makepeace Thackeray. Vanity Fair.
- I ha'n't got a glass,' said Mary. Charles Dickens. The Pickwick Papers.
- Niggers, you know, that's fetched up properly, ha'n't no kind of 'spectations of no kind; so all these things comes easier. Harriet Beecher Stowe. Uncle Tom's Cabin.
- Girl number twenty, isn't this a prosperous nation, and a'n't you in a thriving state? Charles Dickens. Hard Times.
- I ha'n't been there to-year; and now the winter is a-coming on I won't say I shall. Thomas Hardy. The Return of the Native.
- Be hanged if they ar'n't lucky to get shet of ye. Harriet Beecher Stowe. Uncle Tom's Cabin.
- Now, Copperfield, you are so exactly what you used to be, with that agreeable face, and it's so pleasant to see you, that I sha'n't conceal anything. Charles Dickens. David Copperfield.
- Ha'n't you no such relations, Mr. George? Charles Dickens. Bleak House.