(v. i.) The third person singular of the substantive verb be, in the indicative mood, present tense; as, he is; he is a man. See Be.
Checked by Alden
- As shown in the original designs, Fig. 116, she is a double ender, whose sides were to be 5 feet thick. Edward W. Byrn. The Progress of Invention in the Nineteenth Century.
- Of the numerous other telegraph instruments that have been invented since 1837, that of Mr. Morse is in most general use, especially on the Continent and in America. Frederick C. Bakewell. Great Facts.
- Your circle is rather different from ours. George Eliot. Middlemarch.
- Perhaps you had better go after my friends at once, because the weather is warm, and I can not 'keep' long. Mark Twain. The Innocents Abroad.
- Miss Vye's family is a good one on her mother's side; and her father was a romantic wanderer--a sort of Greek Ulysses. Thomas Hardy. The Return of the Native.
- Reason is wholly inactive, and can never be the source of so active a principle as conscience, or a sense of morals. David Hume. A Treatise of Human Nature.
- They possess significance only as movements toward something away from what is now going on. John Dewey. Democracy and Education.
- Here is a card turned up. Charlotte Bronte. Shirley.
- Animal and vegetable matter buried in the depth of the earth sometimes undergoes natural distillation, and as a result gas is formed. Bertha M. Clark. General Science.
- Remember what I told you on the moor--and ask yourself what my assertion is worth. Wilkie Collins. The Moonstone.
- Marriage is a taming thing. George Eliot. Middlemarch.
- WINKLE [The above is a manly and handsome acknowledgment of past misdemeanors. Louisa May Alcott. Little Women.
- We went to the 'commissionaire' of the hotel--I don't know what a 'commissionaire' is, but that is the man we went to--and told him we wanted a guide. Mark Twain. The Innocents Abroad.
- There's money in this case, Watson, if there is nothing else. Arthur Conan Doyle. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
- May I ask how old he is, ma'am? Thomas Hardy. The Return of the Native.
- Wiley is another case of the creative mind harassed by the routineers. Walter Lippmann. A Preface to Politics.
- There is more in it than thou dost guess, Conrade; thy simplicity is no match for this deep abyss of wickedness. Walter Scott. Ivanhoe.
- Upon my soul it is uncommon good! Charles Dickens. Our Mutual Friend.
- One sees very little about it in the newspapers and popular magazines, in spite of the fact that it is the keystone, so to speak, of the motion-picture industry. Various. The Wonder Book of Knowledge.
- Sometimes, Eustacia, I think it is a judgment upon you. Thomas Hardy. The Return of the Native.
- Can we suppose that he is ignorant of antiquity, and therefore has recourse to invention? Plato. The Republic.
- That is, in the long run. Charles Dickens. David Copperfield.
- I like it the way it is. Ernest Hemingway. A Farewell To Arms.
- The understanding of the place of theory in life is a comparatively new one. Walter Lippmann. A Preface to Politics.
- He, the noble, the warlike, the great in every quality that can adorn the mind and person of man; he is fitted to be the Protector of England. Mary Shelley. The Last Man.
- There is something terribly appalling in our situation, yet my courage and hopes do not desert me. Mary Shelley. Frankenstein_Or_The Modern Prometheus.
- Oh, Providence is kind! Charlotte Bronte. Shirley.
- What I mean is, Lizzie, that I am a mere impertinent piece of conceit, and you shame me. Charles Dickens. Our Mutual Friend.
- We must begin, for Laura's sake, where there is the best chance of success, I replied. Wilkie Collins. The Woman in White.
- All Russia now is a huge experiment in that dictatorship (August, 1920). H. G. Wells. The Outline of History_Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind.
Checked by Alden